• Mon - Sat 10:00 AM - 06:00 PM

How To Apply For Canada Child Benefits?

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers the Canada Child Benefits (CCB) in the country. It is a monthly payment provided to the eligible families in order to help them with the cost of raising children under the age of 18. It remains tax-free for everyone.

CCB also includes Child Disability Benefit & any related Provincial & Territorial Programs.

Who can get the Canada Child Benefit?

You must meet all of the following conditions:

  • You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
  • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month other than one that states “does not confer status” or “does not confer temporary resident status”
    • an individual who is registered, or entitled to be registered under the Indian Act

You cannot get the Canada child benefit (CCB) for a foster child for any month in which Children’s special allowances (CSA) are payable.

In case, you live with and care for a child under a kinship or close relationship program from the governments of Canada, a province, a territory or an Indigenous governing body, as long as CSA are not payable for that child, you may get the CCB.

When to apply for Canada Child Benefit?

You should apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB) as soon as any of the following situations happen:

  • your child is born
  • a child starts to live with you, or returns to live with you after a temporary period with someone else
  • you begin, end, or change a shared custody arrangement
  • you get custody of a child
  • you, or your spouse or common-law partner, start to meet the eligibility conditions under “Who can apply”

If the child started living with you more than 11 months ago, you will need to provide additional documents.

You don’t need to apply separately for related provincial and territorial programs. The CRA will determine your eligibility when you apply for the CCB.

Who is primarily responsible for the care of the child?

The person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child should apply for the CCB. That person is responsible for things such as:

  • supervising the child’s daily activities and needs
  • making sure the child’s medical needs are met
  • arranging for child care when necessary

Get Free Assessment for Canada Migration

Read More:

One Reply to “How To Apply For Canada Child Benefits?”

  1. […] It is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age.  […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>