IRCC has made a new announcement about English language Tests. It will now accept-language test results from four new tests for SDS students (Student Direct Stream).
The new test results will be acceptable with effect to August 10, 2023.
The newly eligible tests are:
- CELPIP General
- PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT Test
The tests result must show the abilities of the candidate in all four modules: Speaking, Listening, Reading & Writing.
CELPIP General Test must show a score that is equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark of at least 7 in each of the four language speaking abilities
CAEL and Pearson PTE Academic Test results must show a minimum score of 60.
Educational Testing Service (ETS) TOEFL iBT Test need a minimum score of 83.
Students must take these tests in-person. Online, remotely proctored tests will not be accepted for applicants in the SDS.
Prior to this change, IELTS General and IELTS Academic were the only tests approved by IRCC for SDS applicants.
Eligiblity for SDS:
In addition to being legal residents of specific countries, students who meet this criteria must also:
- provide a copy of a letter of acceptance from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI);
- present a confirmation document for the applicant’s upfront medical exam;
- prove that they have obtained a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000;
- prove that tuition fees for the first year of study are paid;
- show proof of language test results completed within two years of the SDS application being received demonstrating an IELTS score of 6 in English or NCLC 7 for French; and
- submit the application at a Visa Application Centre (VAC).